Sunday, March 17, 2013

Washed Clean

Before we enter fully into the passion and death of Jesus during Holy Week, the Church reminds us that part of our Lenten purification and preparation for Easter is the confessing of our sins.  We used to refer to it as "our Easter Duties",. that is confession and communion at least once during Lent and Eastertide. For the past several years, the Archdiocese of Boston has observed Wednesdays as the day to go to confession.  Every Church has priests available from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.  We are urged to find the time to meet Jesus in this sacrament of soul-healing and reconciliation, remembering that it is God who wishes to come to us and wash us clean.  We sometimes let our fear of facing our weaknesses and admitting them to another keep us away form this sacrament.  But being assured that "I will sprinkle clean water upon you/ to cleanse you from all your impurities,/ and from all our idols I will cleanse you.  I will give you a new heart/ and will place a new spirit within you,/ taking from your bodies your stony hears, and giving you natural hearts./  I will put my spirit within you/ and make you live by my statutes.../you shall be my people and I will be your God." (Ez 36: 25-58), we might find the courage to take the step toward the confessional with greater ease.  Remember also how gently Jesus treated the woman caught in adultery.  There is nothing to fear, and when we hear the words, "I absolve you of all your sins in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit," we do feel the our hearts the elation that matches the St. Patrick's Day celebrations taking place this day.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment