Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Standing Firm

Betrayal is at hand for Jesus.  What must have been going through his mind?  In Psalm 41 we read:
My foes are speaking evil against me.
"How long before he dies and his name be forgotten?"
They come to visit me and speak empty words,
their hearts full of malice, the spread it abroad...
Thus even my friend, in whom I trusted
who ate my bread, has turned against me (Ps 41: 6, 9)
We can imagine Jesus praying parts of Psalm 71:
Be my rod, of refuge,
a stronghold to give me safety,
for you are my rock and my fortress.
O my God, rescue me from the hand of the wicked.  (Ps 71: 3-4)
As Jesus found what he needed in the Psalms to stand firm, so might we, no matter what "enemy" we are facing.  It could be too much busyness, worry about the future, anxiety over the past, or fatigue in general, whatever, but it does serve to wear us down.  Compared to the knot in his stomach as Jesus faced the coming ordeal of his betrayal,  beatings, whippings, cross carrying and crucifixion, our trials pale in comparison, yet God is always there beside us. Walking side by side with Jesus this week, seeing everything in our lives in light of what he went through will help us bear our crosses and stand firm with him.
Bro.Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment