Wednesday, March 6, 2013

God's Faithful Constancy

People in general don't like change, especially if it comes from outside of themselves. Sability, consistancy and predictablity are not only appealing, but qualities held in high esteem, goals to be lived and achieved. Yet, the irony is that we find ourselves just the opposite. We set standards for ourselves, perhaps so high that we cannot ever fulfill them, and by default, or even deliberately as a kind of relief, we ignore them or contradict them.  We find St. Paul's description to be accurate:  "For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want." (Rm 7:19). We live with our contradictions in a pattern of falling and rising again.
Thankfully, God's constancy, his unfailing love and forgiveness are the backdrop for our weakness and spur us on to contine to srive to do the good, no matter how often we fail.  "Your word, O Lord, forever/stands firm in the heavens: your truth lasts from age to age/ like the earth you created.  By your decree it endures to this day;/for all things serve you."  (Ps 119: 89-90).  If we put our trust in the faithful constancy of God, then our own fluctuations become stepping stones to the humble and freeing truth that God is God and we are not, and on him, not in ourselves do, we depend for everything.9 St. Paul sums it up succinctly: But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor. 12 9-10).
Bro. Rene


No comments:

Post a Comment