Monday, March 11, 2013

Newness

We move further past the mid-point of Lent, now concentrating on the new life of the baptized, made possible by the total sacrifice of Jesus: his passion, death and resurrection. Our repentance should create an openness to God and drive us to move forward, rather than wallow in the ugliness of our past sins. "Lo, I am about to create new heavens/ and a new earth,/ the things of the past shall not be remembered/ or come to mind. (Is 65:17). Let us not be anxious about our shortcomings,  but look at the positive side instead.  Even after their years of blundering, and the mistakes natural to the learning process, (and perhaps because of it), Jesus offers the apostles (and us by extension)  this loving prayer, " [Father] I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world.  They were yours and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.  Now they know that everything you have given me is from you; for the words you have to me I have given to them and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that  you sent me." (Jn 17: 6-8). Like the apostles, we basically have kept the faith and hold on to the Word as faithfully as we can.  This is what Jesus is looking for, not our sins.  It is upon this steadfastness in our efforts that the steadfast love of God creates newness in us, removes our tears, and fills us with joy and fullness of life. "Behold, I make all things new." (Rev 2:5).
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment