Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Patron Saints

Today being the memorial of the North American Martyrs, among whom is my patron saint, Rene Goupil, I am moved to reflect on the place these patrons can play in our lives. Named after my father, I was not aware until grammar school when the sisters talked about St. Isaac Jogues and his heroic companions who were martyred for their efforts at bringing the Gospel to the Mohawk, Huron and Iroquois tribes of what is now northern New York state and Canada, that among the "companions" was a layman, intending to become a Jesuit (and admitted to vows before he died), named Rene. How proud I was to know that I was, after all, named after a saint. Little did I know how I would actually follow in his footsteps when I lived for 14 years on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota, and did what he did: taught children their prayers and catechism. No tomahawk for me, however, thanks be to God.
"Rene" means "reborn" in French. Many are the times I have felt re-born when through grace I have risen to new levels of experience and undrstanding of what it means to follow Jesus.
My middle name, David, was given to me after my grandfather, but I have come to love David the King, Psalmist, sinner and penitent. Sometimes I feel like a king with the great favors God has given me, and from the influence I have on people. Our family name, Roy, means "king" in French so these feelings are, in a sense, justified.
I chose Paul as my confirmation name, after my oldest brother, Paul, and St. Paul. Again, little did I know that I would be a traveling missionary and the author of many an epistle somewhat in the fashion of this great saint.
For me, my patrons are very real models and templates of who I am and am yet called to be. I have learned a lot from them and pray with them daily. I would suggest that you take time today to reflect on your name, your patrons, even Google them to learn more about them, and thank them for their lives and the example they have set for you. Let me wish you a happy feast day!"
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment