Saturday, October 2, 2010

Guardian Angels

We are reminded of a very special gift God has given each one of us as the Church today honors all Guardian Angels. Perhaps the familiar prayer, "Angel of God, my Guardian dear,/ to whom God's love commits me here,/ be ever at my side/ to light and guard to rule and guide. Amen", comes to mind. We might equate the thought of a Guardian Angel as something that was "made up" to comfort us as children, but the Catechism of the Catholic Church (336) and great saints, such as St. Basil the Great and St. Bernard of Clairvaux, affirm the many biblical references to angels: "Each and every member of the Faithful has a Guardian Angel to protect, guard, and guide them through life." (St. Basil). "These celestial spirits have been placed at our sides to protect us, instruct us, and to guide us." (St. Bernard). "Thus says the Lord, 'See, I am sending an angel beore you, to guard you on the way and bring you to the place I have prepared.'" (Ex. 23: 20). "For to his angels he has given command about you,/that they guard you in all your ways." (Ps 91: 11). The countless times that a near accident on the road has been avoided by seconds have assured me personally that my Angel, Leo, has been "at my side" to make sure I get to the place God has prepared for me. I thank him all the time, feel his presence, and look forward to meeting him in heaven. We have become close friends.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment