Thursday, October 26, 2023

Setting The World On Fire

 

 Luke 12:49-53

Not Peace but Division

49 “I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed! 51 Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52 From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

We get a sense of passion and urgency from verse 49; there is zeal and a strong desire "to get the show on the road", to set the world on fire, to get the mission underway and accomplished.  Jesus sets the tone for us his followers: we have a job to do, a word to preach even if it causes division among those we love. The mission must come first even at the cost of peace! It's not a warm fuzzy fire, but one that burns with fierce heat, eliminating whatever is in its way. It's the fire that made Peter of the Denial into the Leader of the Church, that transformed Paul from a persecutor to a preacher, that can mold me into a zealous apostle. Pray that we might catch fire!

Bro. Rene

Dear Jesus, set me on fire. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment