Saturday, April 11, 2020

Awake, O Sleeper

Today is a day of emptiness, waiting, mourning.  No Mass, no gatherings until later tonight when the Easter Vigil will take place...for most of us, virtually.  We have a real sense of the absence of Jesus, whose body lies in the garden tomb.
Yet, as the ancients believed, he had one more task to perform before rising at dawn on the Third Day.  He wanted to visit and set free all those righteous ones who lived before him, from Adam to the Baptist.  A beautiful ancient homily captures the moment of his entry into 'Sheol', the abode of the dead as believed by the Jews, except the Sadducees.  He goes to Adam and Even first  Grasping Adam's hand he raises him up saying, "Awake, O sleeper. and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give you light.  I am your God, for your sake I became your son, who for you and your descendants now speak and command with authority those in prison: Come forth, and those in darkness: Have light, and those who sleep: Rise.
Rise from the dead, for I am the life of the dead.
Rise up, work of my hands, you who were created in my image.
Rise, let us leave this place, for you are in me and I am in you; together we form only one person and we cannot be separated.
For your sake I, your God, became your son; I, the Lord, took the form of a slave;
I, whose home is above the heavens, descended to the earth and beneath the earth."

May we find consolation and hope as we reflect again on the great loving plan of God for our salvation.  Not even the Corona Virus can prevail against such a powerful love.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment