Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Betrayal, Denial

It seems that Judas, son of Simon the Iscariot had given at least some thought to turning Jesus over to the Pharisees, but Peter in his protest to "lay down his life for Jesus" (Jn 13:37) demonstrates that his denial was born of fear "on the spot" and not premeditated. Seems like another example of what St. Paul describes and what we all know:  The good that I want to do, I do not, and the evil I do not want to do, I do." (Rm 7:19)   Judas is evidently haunted by his guilt which progressively engulfs him, even to the point of recognizing that he has betrayed an innocent man, with the opportunity to ask forgiveness, but continues in his despair to suicide.  Peter, realizing what he had done, weeps bitterly under the glance from Jesus, but does not despair, and rises from his fall to reassume his leadership role among the Apostles, and the Church.
We carry elements of both these men within us in our daily betrayals and denials, needing  the strength and courage that come from the eyes of Jesus to choose the path or Peter and not the path of Judas. Jesus, look upon me in my weakness and in your mercy, save me from discouragement and despair.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment