Thursday, October 15, 2015

The Gift of the Great St. Teresa of Avila

Not to be confused with St. Therese of Lisieux (the Little Flower), St. Teresa of Avila is known for her profound writings on prayer, The Ascent of Mt Carmel and, especially, The Interior Castle, and for her reform of the Carmelite Order.  This year we celebrate the 500th anniversary of her birth and look to her legacy and counsel with gratitude and hope.  May these succinct thoughts help us grow in prayer, and, as she did, balance a contemplative life with an active life.

Let nothing disturb you
 Let nothing frighten you
 All things are passing away:
God never changes.
 Patience obtains all things
Whoever has God lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.

St. Teresa of Avila, let me not shun the injunction to "pray without ceasing" (I Thess 5:17), but learn as you did, how to be aware of God's presence as I go about my busy days.  When I can grab some quiet moments, let me spend them in my "interior castle" and learn that "God alone suffices."
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment