Sunday, March 2, 2014

Setting Our GPS on God

Not everyone believes in a GPS.   Yes, there are times when it has told me to take a left, when it should have been a right, but overall, I continue to remain amazed at how it can find me, even a cemetery, and direct me to the location I seek.  I've driven down roads I've never heard of, or through city streets and around "roundabouts" that I never could have found myself. It takes trust. And so, when Jesus advises us to put our trust, not in riches but in the Providence of our Father, he is asking us to set our GPS on him and believe that he will lead the way. It sounds simplistic, but it is not easy as we look at ourselves and take stock of where our trust and loyalties lie. We find that "I" occupies the space that "you" should: "me first", and then you, maybe, and then God. How much anxiety is built up when "I" don't get "my way"?  When our GPS is set on God, the priorities are reversed:  God, you, me.  Can we operate on the injunction of Jesus, "Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides. Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrows will take care of itself." (Mt 6: 33-34)?  Very freeing, very challenging.  Lent gives us time to set our GPS on God.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment