Saturday, March 15, 2014

Love Your Enemies

Jesus' command to love our enemies is a radical departure from the Old Law of "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth."  It is a "turning of the other cheek", and a blow to our own ego, which desperately and sometimes violently seeks revenge.  Now, we are not only called to forgive our enemies, but to LOVE them as well.  This calls for a lot of energy from deep within, a lot of swallowing hard, and a lot of WILLINGNESS to shift from hate, or near hate, to LOVE.  The willingness is the key.  Do I want to forgive and LOVE this person?  Do I WANT healing to come from my heart and flow to the heart of my enemy, or person who has stepped on my toes, or taken my job?  Not easy.  Yet, if we remember the love and mercy that we have received from others, from God, then it becomes a bit more doable.  How many times have we confessed the same sins and yet received absolution?  If God has so loved us, then that's how we must love one another, even our enemies.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment