Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Practicing What We Preach

Jesus was not a fan of the Pharisees, especially when he saw that their lives contradicted their teachings. They burdened the people with rules and regulations they themselves did not follow, and they did their "good deeds" in order to be seen, recognized and rewarded by others. They loved high places of honor at banquets and synagogues and greetings in the market place and on the streets. These things swelled their heads and gave them a larger opinion of themselves than they were worthy of.  We don't want to be like them.  We might even say, "I'm not like that!"  But it's an easy trap to fall into.  Walking in the St. Patrick's Day Parade on Saturday and being greeted enthusiastically by the crowds on the sidewalks, and with the up-coming Kiwanian Humanitarian Award I'm receiving on April 30th, I have to remind myself with St. Paul that if I am to boast, it is of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  (cf 2 Cor 12: 9).  Jesus says bluntly, "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled but whoever humbles himself will be exalted."  (Mt 23: 12).
Part of our Lenten purification and personal renewal process might be to look at how we ourselves practice what we preach, even to ask others if they see us doing so.  We might be in for a surprise.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment