Wednesday, September 20, 2023

The Children of God Have It

 

Luke 7:31-35

 Children In The Marketplace

31 Jesus went on to say, “To what, then, can I compare the people of this generation? What are they like? 32 They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling out to each other:

“‘We played the pipe for you,
    and you did not dance;
we sang a dirge,
    and you did not cry.’

33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, ‘He has a demon.’ 34 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ 35 But wisdom is proved right by all her children.”

There's a note of frustration in this passage.  The people do not dance to the music nor cry at the singing of the dirge. John the Baptist we regarded by some as a devil and Jesus himself was accused of being a glutton and a drunkard and friend of tax collectors and sinners. The reaction of the people was the opposite of what was intended. Where do I stand in regard to the teachings of Jesus? Do I delight in them or do I see them in a dark light? Do I accept them with the innocence and trust of children?

Bro. Rene

Dear God, help me to keep my faith and trust at the level of a trusting child. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment