Monday, May 3, 2021

Whoever Believes In Me

 

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

Jesus chides Philip, "Don't you know me, even after I have been among you such a long time?"  Could Jesus ask that same question of each one of us?  We continue to question, to doubt, especially when difficulties and tests of faith become more demanding and we seem like we're back in the "kindergarten of the spiritual life". Don't we know, haven't we experienced the tender loving care of our God that we should be so fragile, so tentative?  Jesus was giving a quick lesson on the Trinity, staring with Persons One and Two...and the apostles did not comprehend; we think we've understood that part, but still have difficulty trusting in his loving care...Shame on us!  If we believe, we will do even greater things than Jesus did; if we ask anything in the name of Jesus, he will do it.  Why, why, this hesitation, this timidity, this lack of faith? Is he really OUR Way, truth and life?  Lord, I do believe; help my unbelief! 

Bro Rene

 

No comments:

Post a Comment