Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Not As The World Gives

 

27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

28 “You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. 29 I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe. 30 I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold over me, 31 but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me.

“Come now; let us leave.

In a troubled world or a troubled life, PEACE becomes the commodity that is worth more than gold, for we find that gold, nor power, nor any kind of sense-pleasure can satisfy the need and the desire for peace.  Jesus gives us his peace, the very peace we long for, the peace that the world cannot give.  He gives it to our souls, our inner being, and from there it touches our whole being, our sense of who we are and our relationships with others. We can imagine the fear that the Apostles felt at the prospect of losing the physical presence of Jesus, to which they had become so accustomed over the past three years of their lives.  What were they going to do without him?  How could they ever continue their mission? Jesus knew what was in their hearts, (as he knows what is in our hearts) and calmed their fears (and, hopefully, calms ours). Let us take his advice and be glad that he's again with his father and pray for an abiding sense of his presence with us, in all circumstances, even the most difficult, or with the most difficult people. Let us open our ears and hearts so that his promise, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you" might take root in us, and let our hearts not be upset. .

Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment