Monday, June 8, 2020

How "Lucky" We Are!

Our Gospel Passage for today is the Beatitudes as recorded by St. Matthew, (Mt 5: 1-12). They are a second branch of expectations and outlines for living as God would have us live.  The Ten Commandments are direct and clear, as one would dictate to a child. "Do this. Don't do that."  The Beatitudes are for a more "mature audience" suggesting, pointing to but leaving latitude for choice and interpretation. Bishop Robert Barron sheds more light on them by referring to the Greek word translated into English as "Blessed" or "Happy" but can also mean "Lucky".  "Lucky are those who are poor in spirit, who are not saddled by material things, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven." (Mt 5:1). Do I want to be part of the Kingdom? Then I am lucky enough to have the suggestion to detach myself from inordinate reliance on things and put my resources, material and spiritual, at the disposal of God.  How lucky I am to have a God who cares so much about me that he proposes in a gentle, tender manner the way to the Kingdom.  We are happy, blessed and lucky indeed. May we respond in a gentle, tender way.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment