Sunday, May 26, 2019

Seeking Peace

The commandment to "Love one another as I have loved you", upon first reading, seems simple and easy to accomplish and is enticing with the promise of a peace that the world cannot give that comes with such loving. Our weaknesses, our fears, our human prejudices rear their ugly heads, however, making such love a lifetime challenge and peace illusive and apparently unobtainable. The more we strive for it, the more stressed and  up-tight we seem to become. Our consolation and assurance that the love we desire to experience and share as well as the peace we seek are indeed obtainable, for they come from God, not us.  "Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him" (Jn 14:23). And in addition, "The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom he Father will send in my name, will each you everything and remind you of all that I told you." (Jn 14: 26). This is the "secret weapon" that obliterates any obstacles that come from within or without. Jesus further gifts us:  "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid." (Jn 14: 27).   We do not go empty handed, but have God himself with us.  "Nothing is impossible with God." (Lk 1: 37). No wonder Paul can write, "I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me." (Phil 4:13) So fortified, let us face the day, life itself, with courage and confidence.
Bro Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment