Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Revealing HImself

As the time for his arrest, condemnation and crucifixion draw near, Jesus speaks explicitly of who he is:  "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I AM, and that I do nothing on my own, but I say only what the Father taught me. The one who sent me is with me.  He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to him." (Jn 8: 28-29).  To be "lifted up" means "crucified"; the I AM is God's name, which he gave to Moses in the burning bush.  Being SENT is another key idea...the perfect obedience of Jesus to his father, the echoing of the Father's teachings,  "This is my beloved Son, listen to him" the total emptying of himself; the Father's closeness, all point to the Divinity of Jesus.  The Jews do not see it, though Jesus makes it clear.  And so do we, like the complaining Hebrews in the desert, let little things stand in the way of the clear message of who Jesus is? Do we need to be bitten by seraph serpents and then look at the bronze seraph on a pole to believe and find life? (cf. Num 21: 8-9)  We, indeed, need to look at Jesus crucified, and like the centurion (now known as St. Longinus) be washed by the water and blood (baptism and Eucharist) flowing from the side of Jesus. Weekly, daily Mass bring these gifts to us; we need but to avail ourselves of them.
Bro .Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment