Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Forgiving Judas

In our reflections and self-examinations this Lent, did we find Judas hidden away deep down inside us?  If we didn't, we have the opportunity today as his story is the subject of today's Gospel: (see Mt 26:14-25).  After receiving the 30 pieces of silver for the promise of handing over Jesus to the chief priests,  he plays the innocent, "Surely it is not I, Rabbi?" (Mt 26:25).  Betrayer, liar...so easy to dislike and condemn as are the ISIS Terrorists, but what about the betrayer and liar that dwells in my inner shadows?  I need to take a good look at him, admit that he's there and, like Judas, needs to ask forgiveness.   This Judas did not do,  If I don't either, then I don't need Jesus as my savior.  Asking Jesus for forgiveness means I need to forgive myself, fully accepting my culpability.  Forgiving myself also means forgiving Judas, for we share the guilt of betrayal and prevarication.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment