Friday, February 11, 2011

Miracles at Lourdes

As we celebrate the Memorial of Our Lady of Lourdes, crutches, wheelchairs, Lourdes water, candle light processions with thousands of people, and benediction of the Blessed Sacrament come to mind. The first apperition was far from this and the basilicas above and underground that have since been built. The simplicity of Bernadette's reaction, fear, and then calm and the quiet words of Mary, "I am the Immaculate Conception" carry power even now as they did then in 1858. Millions have gone to Lourdes for healing of physical ailments, and although over sixty have been officially accepted, the miracles of change of heart or restoration to faith cannot be counted. I met a Little Brother of Jesus in Assisi who had been a professional thief in France, went to Lourdes and received the grace to turn his life completely around and follow Jesus as a member of the congregation begun by Charles de Foucauld. He taught me a song that I have never forgotten: "I want to praise you on my way, O Lord. I wish that my path be your path. I want to serve you on my way." Our prayers to Jesus through Mary can be that simple and in our own homes and hearts, we can experience the miracle of Lourdes.
I will be spending the next week and a half with an elderly friend in Florida, as I have done the past two years. I will have occasional access to e-mail, so during that time Bro. Rene's Daily Bread may not always be daily. Will keep you all in prayer.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment