Friday, November 5, 2010

Compassionate Presence

First Fridays are always associated with the Sacred Heart, whose loving compassion is symbolized by the flame burning from his exposed heart. The Entrance Antiphon for the Mass of the Sacred Heart recalls that "The thoughts of his heart last through every generation, that he will rescue them from death and feed them in time of famine" Ps 32: 11, 19). It is the goal of every Marist to exemplify that love as best we can, but, as we so woefully experience, we often fall short of that goal.
Sr. Joyce Rupp, O.S.M., noted spiritual writer, has some words of consolation for us. "My own basic goal is to give myself as fully as possible to being a compassionate presence in our world. I've discovered I cannot push, hurry or control this goal. I do what I can and try not to be discouraged when I am anything but a compassionate presence. I entrust my goal into God's hands and pray to be open to God's grace. I keep returning to my fundamental objective, day after day. Each time my steps take me ever so faintly toward he gates of my focus." I might add, that the burning love of Jesus will eventually melt away the dross which prevents us from radiating his love. Daily presence with him, will lead to a fully compassionate presence to, ourselves and others.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment