Sunday, April 25, 2010

Our Good Shepherd

The compassion and tenderness of the Risen Jesus cooking breakfast for his dejected disciples on the shores of the Sea of Galilee is matched by the assuring image and comforting words of the Good Shepherd: "My sheep hear my voice: I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of my hand." (Jn 10: 27-28). We need to sit quietly and let these words sink in. Indeed, to spend time, especially on this Sabbath, with all of chapter 10, would be worthwhile to calm our fears and realize that God's care for us reaches across every "desert" and dark place in our lives. Yes, the times and places when we feel most alone, most overwhelmed and helpless. Again, to hear his voice, to listen! The German theologian, Johan A. Mohler wrote: "I think I could no longer live if I stopped hearing Him speak." As I write the birds a singing their morning praise. God's voice is heard in these everyday wonders we take for granted...the attempts of a child to speak, the wisdom of an elder, a hymn at Mass, the life stories of family, friends, and our own lives, the Scriptures. Hear and follow, heed and never perish.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment