Saturday, April 17, 2010

Doing God's Will Joyfully

In Psalm 40 we read, "I take joy in doing your will, my God,/for your law is written on my heart." (Ps 40: 8). We often hear people say in the context of something that goes awry, "It's God's will", and we accept it submissively, if not begrudgingly and blamingly, because it was not what we wanted, not OUR will. God's will is looked upon as a sledge hammer, and we resign ourselves to doing it as a wedge resigns itself to be driven into a log by a powerful blow from a mighty hammer. Does this approach give any credit to all that we know of God from even our own personal history, as we look back and see God's guidance, and the evidence that the way God directed things for us always turned out much better than the way we had in mind? In a fine little book of daily readings, GOD CALLING, Jesus says, "Resignation to My Will keeps Me barred out from more hearts than does unbelief. Can anything be such a crime against Love as being resigned? My Will should be welcomed with a glad wonder if I am to do MY Work in your heart and life." (p. 82). If we look upon the events in our lives not as coincidences, but the result of God's loving plan, "these gradually engender a feeling of wonder, certainty, gratitude, followed in time by Joy." (GOD CALLING, p. 83).
When Mary gave her consent to the Angel Gabriel, did she do it simply with resignation? If so, how could she sing out, "My soul magnifies and the Lord and me spirit rejoices in God my Savior"? (Lk 1:46). Mary, be our inspiration always, and teach us how do find joy in doing God's will as you did. Thank you. Amen.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment