Sunday, August 25, 2024

To Whom Shall We Go?

 

 John 6:60-69

Many Disciples Desert Jesus

60 On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?”

61 Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you? 62 Then what if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! 63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit  and life. 64 Yet there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. 65 He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.”

66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

67 “You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve.

68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.”

John 6, the lengthy discourse on one of the essentials of our Faith, concludes with many deserting Jesus because they could not accept this "hard teaching", and Peter's opposite reaction, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to know that you are the Holy One of God." Where do I stand? I hope and want to be with Peter and pray that all could be with him, but faith is a gift; some welcome it and some refuse it. On this "Lord's Day" may I take stock of my stance, my faith, and pray in gratitude for whatever faith I have and ask that Jesus increase it.  If not to Jesus, where would I be? To whom would I go?

Bro. Rene

Dear Jesus, thank you for the great gift of yourself to us in the Eucharist. May I grow to love, appreciate and take part of it more and more in the days ahead. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment