Saturday, August 10, 2024

The Paradox

John 12:24 Dying To Live (devotional)11:10 (brown) 

 

 

 

 

 

 

John 12:24-26

Losing  Life To Keep It

 24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25 Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.

We begin this day with the beautiful and ever-simple but ever-startling image of the seed falling into the ground, losing its identity and rising in a new form to produce fruit that sustains life for others and new seeds to renew the process in the next season. As we grow older we see this process more clearly: our energies are diminishing, our abilities and activities are more and more limited, we are dying but live in the hope that we have borne fruit in others that will last and that we will still be able to produce some fruit even in these years of decline. We can still serve and honor God and help others do so too. As we "lose" our life, we can still pass it on to others by sharing even more generously our wisdom, insight, and above all, our love. The more we die to ourselves, our selfishness, the more we have to give as inspiration to others.

Bro. Rene

Dear God, let me be willing to die to myself for you and for the sake of others. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment