Sunday, September 30, 2018

Cleansing Ourselves

Today's Gospel from the ninth chapter of Mark, calls for a total revamping. Anything that stands in the way of a full commitment to Jesus must go:  hands and feet  cut off, if they lead to sin; eyes plucked out; no room for bad example.  The work of a lifetime. Jesus speaks in hyperbole to make his point: No room for lukewarmness, halfheartedness or mediocrity.  Rather, full concentration, full effort. 
A good place to begin is with the "little things":   biased criticism of others, unkind words or thoughts, jealousy,  a lack of charity.  If we begin with curbing our tongues, we might then proceed to cleansing our minds of inappropriate thoughts...or vice-versa.  Which comes first, the chicken or the egg, the thoughts or the words?  The point is, to BEGIN.  Dear Jesus help me to cleanse my heart, my thoughts and my actions of the things that stand between me, my neighbor and you.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment