Friday, May 15, 2015

Pain to Joy

Jesus again consoles his disciples (and us) as he reminds them that their grief (another translation reads "pain") will be turned to joy. (Jn 16: 20).  In these days, when the mention of pain resonates on a personal level, or I hear of a cousin falling, breaking ribs and because of a whole host of ailments, being put into hospice, and story after story around the country and world of tragedy, the thought of all of this being turned one day into joy gives me strength to carry on.   The pain and the grief are only temporary, the joy is permanent.  I know from experience that it will come, and I know that it can be anticipated and felt even in the midst of pain. If the heart is open to the love of God, and allows God's grace to pour in, even in the worst of pain, a deep, abiding joy covers and serves as a spiritual anesthesia.  Jesus uses the example of childbirth, and I must say that all the mothers I've known over the years never speak of the pain, but always radiate a special joy as they hold their newborn close to them.
May we find that joy today no matter what level of pain we may be experiencing.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment