Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Continent of Contrasts

Africa has for generations posed as an engima to the Western World.  Its 56 countries are lumped together as in "How are things in Africa?", a question I am often asked, since I lived for four years in Rwanda, ONE of those 56 countries.  I answer by telling people I can only speak for Rwanda, and that my knowledge needs updating, since my last trip there was five years ago, and I can't really believe what I read in the press.  I have to see it myself, which I will be doing in a few weeks..
However, one of my friends sent me two contrasting articles which might give some insight into "how things are in Africa."  One article tells of an orphanage called Agahozo Shalom (tears are dried with peace) about 30 miles from Kigali, the capital of Rwanda, where 500 orphans live in "families" of 16 with house parents and a "big brother" and "big sister"....very important in Rwanda culture.  Already "graduates" from this orphanage, having completed their secondary education, are pursuing further studies with high ambitions to become doctors or engineers.  This little story is a testimony to the generosity of people around the world who have stepped up to help Rwanda's rebirth and to the resliency of the people, who did not let the mega-tragedy of the Genocide break their spirit.
The other story, on the contrary, is about starvation in Senegal.  Yes, climate can be blamed,  but warnings and alarms about this disaster have not been heeded, and 20,000 children are in danger of dying of starvation. 
So that is a glimpse of "Africa"...one country's success story undercut by tragedy in another.  Our Lady of Africa, bless your people.  Amen.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment