Monday, September 20, 2010

Light

For Central Catholic, Notre Dame and Patriots fans, this was a weekend of gloom, not light. Yet on a Monday morning, two days before the official end of summer and the beginning of Autumn, our attention is drawn to LIGHT. Ironic? Encouraging? Fact! "You are the light of the world--like a city on a mountain, glowing in the night for all to see. Don't hide your light under a basket! Instead, put it on a stand and let it shine for all. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father." (Matt 5: 14-16). A direct and stark reminder of our mission as disciples of Christ, and of St. Marcellin. Our good deeds, our faith, our witness need to be seen to be inspiration to others, to be light in the darkness. A good word of praise instead of a discouraging, negative word; a word of hope, optimism, of confidence, of trust, these can dispell the weekend and Monday morning shadows.
The hymn, Lead, Kindly Light, was swirling in my head this morning. It is the favorite of a friend of mine suffering from deep depression and I thought it would be good to send it to him. Looking at it reminded me that indeed the Light is Christ, and he leads with his love and kindness, showing us the way to shine on others and lead them to him. We are not alone.
"Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encirling gloom,
Lead Thou me on;
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead Thou me on.
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me."
--Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman
If you Google this hymn, you can read the rest. May it stay with you all day as a reminder of the Light which beckons us and which we are called to bring to others.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment