Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Willing Disciples

"I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?' "Here I am," I said; 'send me!'" (Is 6:8). How appropriate this verse is as we celebrate the Memorial of Sts. Timothy and Titus, disciples and friends of St. Paul. Timothy, Paul's "dear child" (2 Tim 1:1), was the grandson of Lois, and son of Eunice, her daughter, long-time friends of Paul, and became bishop of Ephesus. Paul had known him since he was a little boy and had watched him grow in the faith. Titus, a natural organizer, was sent to Crete as its bishop to "set right what remains to be done" (Tit 1:5). Paul's two letters to Timothy are full of fatherly and spiritual advice, which any one of us could take to heart. "I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control. So do not be ashamed of your testimony to our Lord, nor of me, a prisoner for his sake; but bear your share of hardship for the Gospel with the strength that comes from God." (2 Tim 1:7-8). Let us take time today to reflect on these verses, and, indeed, on the whole letter, if possible. May we become willing disciples like Isaiah, Timothy and Titus, responding to God's call as they did: "Here I am, Lord. Send me."
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment