Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Other Champagnats

On January 21 and 22, we Marists will be remembering two "giants" from our past: Brother Francois, who joined the brothers at age 10 and later succeeded St. Marcellin as Superior General, a post he held for 20 years, and Brother Basilio Rueda, our Superior General for 18 years through the 80's and into the '90's. Both made it their goal to be as much like St. Marcellin as they could be. When the first portrait of St. Marcellin was painted, Brother Francois made the decision to be "the living portrait of the Founder". The biography of Brother Basilio is entitled: Basilio, another Champagnat. Both men are in the process leading to canonization. St. Marcellin's passion in forming young men as brothers was two-fold: to instill in them the strength and plenitude of human values, and an intense spiritual life, docility to the divine will, a hunger for intimacy with God and a generosity of responses to their questions and needs that was a constant source of inspiration to them. Brother Basilio, as Master of Novices and Superior General expended his energy to cover the entire Marist World, speaking personally to each brother, sometimes all through the night, to do the same thing. Zeal, selflessness, love, were the earmarks of these great men. Brother Basilio wrote this prayer at the conclusion of his 30 day Ignation retreat before final vows in 1951. It might become part of our daily prayer:
"I want my life to be a cry of love towards you who are my all.
May each beat of my heart, each breath, every action and exercise of my bodily or spiritual faculties say to you, Lord I love you and I want to live for you. I want to speak to you constantly of love. I want to love you, Lord, because you are infinitely lovable, because you are immensely worthy of love. I want to love you in gratitude for the love that you have had for me...Make me understand this love fully so that I can love you more and more."
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment