Thursday, December 3, 2009

Trust

What prompted people like St. Francis Xavier, whose memorial we keep today, to leave family, friends (his especially dear friend, St. Ignatius Loyola) culture, and country, or St. Marcellin Champagnat, our Founder, to spread the Word of God and to make others aware of God's great love, if not a superabundance of TRUST? Advent is a most appropriate time to reflect on the Scritpures that must have motivated them to take these great leaps of faith. In Psalm 27 we pray: "The Lord is my light and my help;
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
before who shall I shrink?

Though an army encamp against me
my heart would not fear.
Though war break out against me
even then would I trust. (Ps. 27: 1,3)

Further, from the Prophet Isaiah: "Trust in the Lord forever!/ For the Lord is an eternal Rock" (Is. 26: 4)

Just look at how we begin each day: a whole host of things on our agenda, the eternal question, "How will I get through this day?" And each evening, we're still alive, somethings done, most not done. And the sun rises the next morning. Somehow we've made it. Somehow?
Not really, The God of the Psalmist, of Isaiah, of St. Francis, of St. Marcellin, Jesus and the Holy Spirit have been at our side the whole way.

The purpose of Advent is to prepare our hearts for Jesus, to focus on his coming. How about focusing on the Jesus who is right at our side NOW and trust that he will again bring us to the end of the day in one piece. TRUST! FEAR NOTHING!
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment