Friday, December 11, 2009

God's Mercy

Which of us is not in need of mercy? A nightly examen of conscience, while revealing the good that came to us during the day, can sometimes make us cringe at our thoughts and behaviors and literaly bring us to our knees as we cry for mercy. The God who is "rich in kindness and abounding in mercy" (cf. Ps. 27) is ever present to forgive. Psalm 32 reminds us of the joy that we experience when our sins are forgiven:
Then I acknolweged my sin to you,
and I did not hide my iniquity;
I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,"
and you forgave the guild of my sin.
You are a hiding place for me;
you preserve me from trouble;
you surround me with glad cries of deliverance." (Ps. 32:5,7)
"Glad cries of deliverance"! A burden lifted, a heart made light. All from the admission of our faults, and our asking for forgiveness.
As Advent reaches the half-way mark, (Christmas is two weeks from today!), let me again suggest that the Sacrament of Reconciliation offers the gift of experiencing God's mercy, deliverance from our guilt, and the opportunity for another round of "glad cries of deliverance." Why not make it a point to approach the Sacrament which assures us of forgiveness and showers us with his mercy.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment