Thursday, May 21, 2015

Ut Omnes Unum Sint

Ut omnes unum sint, that they may all be one. (Jn 17: 21), the prayer of Jesus and a favorite of Pope St. John XXIII, prayed so fervently for decades, centuries, yet still unfulfilled.  No need to be discouraged despite the endless fraction between peoples around the globe.  The unity that Jesus prays for is based on the unity in the Trinity, "that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me..." (Jn 17: 21).  This unity is based on the unbreakable love between Father, Son and Holy Spirit and this love will prevail over all the powers of Evil.  In the Song of Solomon (3:2) we read of the lover pursuing the beloved, So I said to myself, "I will get up and roam the city, searching in all its streets and squares. ... the streets, and in the broad ways I will seek him whom my soul loveth: I sought him, ... "Run up and down every street in Jerusalem," says the LORD. This is the God who loves us and seeks to be one with us and for us to be one with each other.  We forget how powerful that love is. If we allow God to find us, we will find others and bring them into the union of love,  It begins with the God who loved us first (I Jn 4: 19) and then ripples out from us.   Let us not lament division, but open our hears to God's great love which is the foundation of the unity we seek and for which Jesus prays.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment