Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Power of the Cross

At our Holy Thursday Prayer Service at Central Catholic, I had the privilege of standing before a large wooden cross and inviting the student body to join me in making a reverent sign of the cross, slowly and reflectively.  What better place than to have the cross as the background for a gesture that can be rote, and make it instead, a prayer?  I was very moved by this simple gesture. Later in the Service, we processed with the cross and raised it up in front of each class year.  The students stood, bowed their heads and prayed in silence while the liturgical choir sang a beautiful rendition of Were You There?  The power of the cross humbled us, captivated us, and brought us close to Jesus.  Simplicity, dignity, reverence prevailed.
This afternoon at the Celebration of the Lord's Passion, we will venerate the cross, and have the opportunity to experience the Power of the Cross an opportunity not to be dismissed lightly. Calvary becomes real, the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus is underscored by the chanting of the Reproaches: My people, what have I done to you? Or how have I grieved you? Answer me!/ Because I led you out of the land of Egypt,/ you have prepared a Cross for your Savior.  ... Behold the wood of the Cross on which hung the salvation of the world. Come let us adore. May we be humbled and find a deeper love, simplicity, dignity and reverence.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment