Friday, May 31, 2024

My Soul Glorifies the Lord

 Blessed Virgin Mary – Luke 1 ...

  Lk 1:39-56

Mary Visits Elizabeth

39 At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, 40 where she entered Zechariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth. 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”

Mary’s Song

46 And Mary said:

“My soul glorifies the Lord
47     and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has been mindful
    of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
49     for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
    holy is his name.
50 His mercy extends to those who fear him,
    from generation to generation.
51 He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
    he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
52 He has brought down rulers from their thrones
    but has lifted up the humble.
53 He has filled the hungry with good things
    but has sent the rich away empty.
54 He has helped his servant Israel,
    remembering to be merciful
55 to Abraham and his descendants forever,
    just as he promised our ancestors.”

56 Mary stayed with Elizabeth for about three months and then returned home.

Today's Feast is a joyful celebration and prefigure of the missions of Mary and Jesus.  She was called to bring forth the Son of God into this world for the sake of our redemption and even before he was born, she brings him to meet his unborn cousin and his mother. Mary "went with haste," no hesitation, no holding back, as fast as she could. Her joy is expressed in her Magnificat, her prayer of praise which is prayed daily in the Church's Evening Prayer, Vespers.  As we celebrate this Feast, may we be aware of our mission to bring Jesus to others in imitation of Mary, joyfully and unreservedly.

Bro. Rene

Dear God, help me to follow the example of Mary, finding joy in my mission to bring her Son to others. Amen.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment