Monday, May 13, 2024

Do You Believe?

 

 John 16: 29-33 

 Overcoming the World

29 Then Jesus’ disciples said, “Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. 30 Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.”

31 “Do you now believe?” Jesus replied. 32 “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.

33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

(Note: It has taken an hour and a half to connect to the internet this morning, so the question is not only how to overcome the world, but how to overcome a clogged and sluggish internet!)

Don't we wish we could see as clearly as the Apostles said they did?  I wonder.  From their reaction to the arrest, trial, scourging, crucifixion and death of Jesus we can surmise that they certainly did not "get it" until after the arrival of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost. But they were eager, as we might be, to show their willingness to follow Jesus totally. Jesus was certainly right when he said "in this world you will have trouble." Thankfully he has overcome the world, so we do have his assurance that no matter how bad things seem, he is the victor. It is we who need an increase of faith and confidence. Yes,  we might claim that "we get it", we believe,  but do we? Our faith is tested daily, so daily we need to renew it.

Bro. Rene

Dear Jesus, strengthen my faith and help me to renew it every day so that I might follow you without reserve or fear. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment