Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Simply Seeing

The gift of seeing comes before us today as Jesus reminds us:  "For I say to you, many prophets and kings have desired to see what you see, but did not see it...." (cf. Lk 10:24).  We take our sight for granted, and in a society where speed and movement hit us from the internet to the highway, we sometimes fail to SEE what is right in front of us.  How often do we look into the eyes of someone we love and just drink in the beauty of his or her eyes and do so for several minutes, without saying a word.  We did such an "exercise" during one of our sabbatical sessions and all of us found it rewarding and peaceful.  Feelings of admiration arise as the windows of the eyes enable us to see into the soul of the person before us.  Being looked at and accepted as we are arouses  a childlike affection in our hearts.
Doing this with an image of Jesus, such the Prince of Peace by Akiana, (available on Google) is even more powerful as the loving, green eyes of  Jesus invite us into deeper communion with him.  The purpose  of such a prayer is to become like Jesus simply by daily absorption, daily looking at his face.
In this Advent Season, we ask God to " enlighten the eyes of his servants".  In the song by Donavan as the theme for the classic BROTHER SUN, SISTER MOON, about the life of St. Francis, we hear:
Brother Wind and Sister Air,
Open eyes to visions pure and fair,
That I may see the glory around me.
I am God's creature,
Of him. I am part.
I feel his love awakening my heart.
Brother Sun and Sister Moon,
Now I can see you
I can hear your tune,
So much in love
With all that I survey.

Thank you Lord, for the gift of sight.  Let me use it to see your beauty in the hearts of others and in all of your creation.
Bro. Rene


No comments:

Post a Comment