Monday, January 12, 2015

Walking Bibles

"Be careful how you live, you may be the only Bible people ever read."  (William J. Toms)  Mr. Toms is given credit for this familiar thought, but I'm not sure if he is the first to say it.  Yesterday, the Baptism of the Lord, a young friend of mine looked optimistically to the day, saying he was going to be a walking Bible, starting with attendance at Church.  He, William Toms and many others use this theme, so appropriate for the beginning of Ordinary Time, as a way to continue the graces gained during Advent, Christmas and Epiphany, to overcome the possible gloom of the removal of all the colorful ornaments and religious symbols that adorned our homes and churches might be causing, and to be a light to a world where dark is now admired for light.
Yesterday, I saw a movie, Foxcatcher, which I knew from reviews to be "dark" but did not expect to see BLACK! It pointed out the extent of evil we as humans are capable of. The bright piece is that I can warn the wrestling team and others NOT to see it...nothing to be gained except depression.  Watching a few minutes of the Golden Globe Awards, again I saw accolades going to darkness.  No sense asking, "What have we come to," the real question is how can I be a "walking Bible" in my circle today?
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment