Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Casting Our Demons

Demon possession is something we associate with the time of Jesus, as in today's Gospel, he commands an evil spirit to come out of a man in the synagogue at Capernaum; we do not think that it happens today, perhaps because we never hear of it, but inevitably, pilgrims to Medjugorje see or hear a person in such a state.  All the "symptoms" are there:  the deep voice, the screaming, groaning, cursing, writhing, and when the unclean spirit leaves, the peace and return to normalcy.  But "possession" does not have to be such a dramatic and visible phenomenon; it can be more subtle as when a person leads a life that would make the Prodigal Son blush.  When they convert, when they are cleansed, a new and awesome person emerges.  Such were the cases of John Newton, who wrote Amazing Grace after his conversion, and more currently, well-known actor and signer, Kris Kristoferson.  He describes his conversion in a song he wrote; it might resonate with us:
Why me Lord, what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known?
Tell me Lord, what did I ever do
That was worth loving you or the kindness you've shown?
Lord, help me Jesus, I've wasted it, so help me Jesus, I know what I am.
Now that I know that I've needed you so, help me, Jesus, my soul's in your hand.

Try me Lord, if you think there's a way I can try to repay all I've taken from you.
Maybe, Lord, I can show someone else what I've been through myself
On my way to you.
Lord, Help me Jesus.

Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment