Thursday, June 5, 2014

God's Loving Ways

Who has known the mind of God or who has been his counselor (who has told him what to do?), asks St. Paul, (Rm 11:34).  There is no answer other than "No one."  All we know from the Word of God and from our experience, is that he loves us intimately and immeasurably..  We get a glimpse of that love from the last discourse of Jesus to his disciples in John 17, part of which serves as today's Gospel.  He prays that we may be one with the Father, one with Him...totally united with our Creator and Savior.  We know how loves seeks union with the beloved, so the words of Jesus ring true.  And it's not an abstract, generic love, but a love that takes tangible form in the gifts we enjoy every day but take so much for granted.  For example, yesterday I was given a small brace for my "wounded knee" and told I could drive again and go on with the plans I had made months ago for the rest of the summer.  What a gift!  I can see Jesus smiling for he knows how much I wanted to participate in Camp Champagnat,  and the following week in Esopus for the Foundation Stones Week...a week where young men seriously considering our Marist Brotherhood live in community with us, to get a taste of what it is to live the life of a Brother.  The week after that will be a visit to my Rwandan graduates in Canada...the on with the Mission Appeals and a 45th class reunion in Wheeling.  The seven week respite from my usual activity has given me perspective and appreciation for gifts such as these as well as more and more reason to trust in the loving ways of God.
Bro Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment