Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Seeing wth The Eyes of Faith

Julian of Norwich wrote: See that I am God.  See that I am in everything. See that I do everything.  See that I have never stopped ordering my works, nor ever shall eternally. See that I lead everything on to the conclusion I ordained for it before time began, by the same power, wisdom and love with which I made it.  How can anything be amiss?
This message of a 14th century anchoress rings as true today as when she wrote it.  A young priest in telling his vocation story said that while he was a seminarian, he was struggling with his love for surfing in Hawaii with the call to become a priest.  He asked God what kind of God would so torture a person, causing him sleepless nights and the heavy weight of a heart divided. His answer came one morning as he awoke sweating from his inner pain. God said, "I am not torturing you, but inviting you to see me in all things: in surfing, in the huge waves you love, in these perfect Hawiian days. There is no reason to be torn;  see it all as my gift, and my way of showing you how beautiful I am and how much I love you to let you have time to play in my little paradise on earth."  The anguish in the young man's heart was driven out by the peace which flooded in, and he went on to be a very happy and effective priest who still loves to surf on his vacations.
The eyes of faith help us to see what God is bending over backwards to show us. It's our own lack of focus that causes us to miss the message.What do we want to do about it?
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment