Monday, June 24, 2013

Angels Without Wings

Without realizing it, we take on the role of angel, God's messenger, God's guardian and protector, when we help someone by our prayers, even from a great distance, or when we hold the hand of someone who is suffering physically, emotionally or spiritually, of simple by our presence, when we are THERE. We cannot measure the impact of a simple gesture, or word, smile, or look. And so it was last evening for Dr. Antoine Kanamugire, one of my Rwandan scholars who came to LaRoche College in 2000, at a celebration of 14 years of study and graduation with a diploma in psychiatry. In a moving talk he thanked all who had helped him bring his dream to reality and concluded with this beautiful song he composed:
I've seen an angel, and angel with no wings,
sitting next to me,
holding my hand,
telling me I can,
No matter what I thought,
No matter what I felt,
No matter what I said.
When time was hard,
When hope was gone,
I heard the voice of an angel
telling me to believe,
a hand helping me to stand.
One of Antoine's teachers shared with me the story of his wife's terminal illness, when he and his family were angels to her simply by holding her hand.
And this morning, an e-mail from a friend who is moving and taking on a new job, reminded me of the power of prayer to support and link us together, and be the angel without wings for him.
I write this in Canada, where today's feast of St. John the Baptist is a national holiday. St. John, not only was an angel without wings for Jesus, but is also for Canadians today, who can enjoy a warm summer day with their families. Not only are we wingless angels but they are all around us. Are we aware of them? Do we thank them?
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment