Friday, October 5, 2012

Empowered Witnesses

One of the marks Marist educators strive to imprint on their students is that they be "empowered witnesses of the love of God."  This characteristic mark, in order to be imparted and received, must be present in the lives of their teachers, and when we think of it, in the lives of all Marists, all Christians.  When Jesus said,
"Whoever listens to you, listens to me.  Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me, rejects the one who sent me."(Lk 16: 15-16), he was placing all of us in the position of delegate, ambassador, witness,  "stand-in" for him.  A huge commission and resonsibility, and again a reminder that we are to be Christ in our time, in our circles.  Our words and actions should ressemble his.  Not only do we often fail at this, but we hardly even think of it, except when reminded from time to time in a homily or in something we read. One way to keep our consciousness alert to this role is to make it part of our morning prayer, our morning offering, and our "little prayers" throughout the day as we recall God's presence in our lives.  "Lord, I am your sales rep. Guide my words and actions so that they might make you present to all I meet today." Or even more simply:  "I am your sales-rep.  Make me a good one."
Bro Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment