Thursday, October 6, 2011

Spiritual Communion

Receiving the Holy Eucharist provides the opportunity for us to enter into the most intimate union with Jesus available to us while we walk this planet.  Once a week is not enough for some of us, but not all can attend Mass daily.  There is a way around this: "spiritual communion."  In quiet prayer from the heart we can invite Jesus to join us there, as if we were receiving the sacrament, and spend some intimate moments with him.  It's a very focused experience of putting ourselves in the presence of God.  Here is a sample prayer I composed recently:
"Lord Jesus, I can't receive you sacramentally today, but I do want you to come into my heart in a spirtual communion.  I unite my heart with yours and assure you of my complete love.  You showed your love for me and all people by your death on the cross and left us the precious gift of yourself in the Holy Eucharist.  Thank you.  Let me now take a moment in silence to feel your presence and to listen to you tell me how much you love me.  Pause for 2-3 minutes of silence to listen to Jesus and to express your own personal needs and thoughts; close with a prayer similar to this:  Thank you for this time with you. Accept the gift of my love, of myself, of my complete trust in you, and do with me what you will.  You must increase and I must decrease.  May this spiritual communion and every sacramental communion make me more like you in thought, word and deed so that I may bring your love to my family, friends and all I meet. Amen."
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment