Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Finding Godson Ryan

Most people are familiar with the film, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, but here is a personalized Pine Ridge version. In 1991, a friend of mine, Joe, pleaded with me to be Godfather of his son, Ryan. He would not listen to my "logical" objection that I would be leaving the Reservation that year and would not be able to uphold my obligations. He insisted and I accepted. I sent cards and religious articles for a few years, and then had a visit with him in 1999 or so. The visit, in my estimation, did not go well...a young boy and his friend and younger brother "forced" to spend the day with an "old man." That was the last I saw of Ryan, and the last contact with him. I gave him up as "the lost Godson." On this visit, I learned that Ryan's father, brother and half brother had all died in the last five years and that Ryan had served two tours in Iraq. It wasn't until I providentially bumped into his mother did I learn that he was out of the service and here on the REZ. Phone calls, and prayers brought us together briefly, and then more in depth and for a long time in the cemetery where his loved ones are buried. What a gift to learn what a fine young man he has turned out to be. The special bond created when I became his Godfather grew stronger as we talked and shared our stories, and a life-long adult relationship was born. This was the highlight of this visit, despite so many other wonderful re-connections. St. Julie Billart was fond of saying, "How good is the Good God." ( Qu'il est bon le Bon Dieu...French). That and THANK YOU are on my lips and in my heart without ceasing. It seems that the best GIFTS are the surprises that appear when least expected. May you all be so blessed.

As I will be in transit to Massachusetts over the next few days, my next slice of bread won't be offered until Friday morning.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment