Thursday, May 20, 2010

Leaping Over a Wall

Psalm 18 is one of my favorites, so full is it of visual imagery of God. One image I found particularly apropos during my morning run through the woods and fields in Cold Spring, New York years ago, was, "Through my God I leap over a wall." (Ps 18: 30). I would pray it as I literally leapt over the walls on my running path, for it gave me a sense not only of my own ability and strength to leap over them, but that God was helping me do it. It was a graphic symbol that no obstacle is too difficult to overcome. Another translation of the entire verse, which even more greatly reinforces this truth, reads,
"With you I can break through any barrier,
with my God I can scale any wall."
Reflection on this verse for members of the Central Family is particularly meaningful today, for it is the first annivesary of the tragic and untimely death of last year's senior. Rebecca Solomon. We held a memorial service earlier this morning, where tears flowed and the sadness of May 20th, 2009, filled the chapel. It was a wall that we managed to leap over once, and with the faith and presence of many students. teachers, Becca's family and God's Word, we managed again.
This day also marks the birthday of a great man who also leapt many walls in his life: St. Marcellin Champagnat in 1789. In his footsteps we run, we leap, we find God strengthening us to do the seemingly impossible.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment