Wednesday, February 3, 2010

St. Blase

A reminder that February 3rd is the memorial of St. Blase, Bishop and Martyr, whose cure of a young boy choking on a fish bone led to the annual blessing of throats after Masses on this day, and sometimes extended to the following weekend. With all the medicines available, we still rely on his intercession for throat and other ailments. And how many times are we asked to pray for someone who is ill? Thankfully, we still associate healing with prayer. Jesus did not hesitate, where there was evident faith, to cure illnesses and deformities. The physical cures were a sign that inner healings were possible as well. The cripple who was lowered through the roof so that Jesus could pray over him, cure him, and yes, forgive his sins, is a prime example (Matt. 9: 1-8 ) God knows that we long for good health. Expenditures on health care each year are in the billions. Would that our faith were that extravagant! Let us try to attend Mass today and have our throats blessed, but let's also be attentive to the need for a deeper faith. Lord, when I pray, let me do so from my heart, not just my lips. May I pray with faith, believing that you hear my every word, and if it fits into your plan, will grant my request. Let my faith go beyond just receiving positive answers, to a total abandonment of my heart and will to yours. Amen.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment