Monday, February 22, 2010

It Shall Not Return to Me Void

Highly recommended for the season of Lent is the reading of Scripture. It has always been a part of Marist Spirituality too, which always tends to be practical and simple. The word of God is effective and nourishing if we let it, like rain, penetrate to the depths of our hearts. Isaiah puts it this way: "Just as from the heavens,/ the rain and snow come down/And do not return there/ till they have watered the earth,/ making it ferile and fruitful,/ Giving seed to the one who sows/ and bread to the one who eats,/ So shall my word be/ that goes forth from my mouth; It shall not return to me void,/ but shall do my will,/achieving the end for which I sent it." (Is 55:10-11). If we take the word to be THE WORD, Jesus, surely his coming among us has been effective. As the word of Scripture, it always seems to have a relevance NOW to our current situation. Non-Catholics have a great devotion to the Word of God, the Scriptures, and often at Christian Schools, children are made to memorize a verse of Scripture per day. On Sunday, the winner of the Allianz Tournament in Boca Raton, Bernahrd Langer, said his daughter gave him a Scripture Verse to carry with him to the tournament. It fit perfectly. Remember, "I sought the Lord and he answere me' and delivered me from all my fears. Look to him that you may be radiant with joy, and your faces may not blush with shame." Ps 34. Find the verse that fits you today. It will not return void.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment